Voter Registration and Elections

Town of South Hill wards mapTown Council elections are held on the first Tuesday in May of even numbered years.  The Mayor and members of Council serve four-year staggered terms.  The Town is divided into three voting wards as shown at right. 

The Mayor is elected at large.  Persons elected to Town Council take office on July 1 following the election. 

In order to vote, a person must be age 18 or older, a U.S. citizen, a resident of Virginia, and registered in the precinct where they reside.  Qualified citizens may register to vote at the Mecklenburg County Voter Registration Office located in Boydton, Virginia (434) 447-7636 or through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when applying for a motor vehicle driver's license.  South Hill has one polling place for Town Council elections: the American Legion Hall on 213 Brook Avenue, South Hill, VA  23970-2609. 

Further information can be obtained by visiting the Virginia State Board of Elections website or by contacting the General Registrar's Office Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

County of Mecklenburg
Jason Corwin, General Registrar
439 Madison Street
P.O. Box 436
Boydton, VA  23917-0436
Phone:  (434) 738-6191 X-4313
Fax:  (434) 738-6104

Town Council Meetings

Meetings are held at 7pm on the second Monday of each month in Town Council Chambers, South Hill Town Hall, 211 S. Mecklenburg Ave. Our Meetings calendar includes dates of Town Council and other official meetings such as the Planning District Commission. Download Meeting Minutes

If a regular meeting falls on a scheduled holiday, an alternate date will be set by Town Council; the rescheduled date will be advertised in the South Hill Enterprise.  Town Council also may hold special meetings at other times.  Citizens wishing to address Council may schedule in advance of meetings. 

Citizens are encouraged to participate in their local government and attend these meetings.  We want to hear from you!  Email the Town Clerk or call 434-447-3191 regarding business for the Town Council.