Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, one of the few remaining vaudeville theatres of its era in Virginia.
The Colonial Theatre has weathered many storms and economic crises, as well as years of neglect at various times throughout its history, and today houses The Colonial Center for the Performing Arts.
Originally constructed in 1925 to house live entertainment, vaudeville, and musical productions, in later years the Colonial was a theatre for silent movies and major modern motion pictures.
The Atlantic and Danville Railroad made possible the vast number of live performances held at the Colonial, which included such well-known entertainers as Joan Crawford, Clara Bow, Ronald Coleman, Vilma Banky, Louis Homer, Tex Ritter, Texas Rhythm Rangers, Gene Autry and Champ, Roy Rogers and Trigger, Minnie Pearl, and many more.
In 2001, the South Hill Civic Center donated the Colonial to the South Hill Community Development Association, Inc. to establish and maintain a performing arts and cultural center to serve South Hill and the surrounding counties of southern Virginia. In 2001, Mayor Earl Horne and the CDA worked to obtain the means to recognize and rehabilitate the Colonial, in an effort to bring it back to its original splendor. Working with grants, local industry, local businesses, interested parties, and organizations, the vision has been brought to life.
The Colonial Center is on the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Virginia Landmarks Register, and the National Park Services National Register of Historic Places.